Spay & Neuter Surgery in Portage, IN
If you’ve welcomed a new puppy or kitten into your home, one of the most important considerations is whether or not you’ll spay or neuter them. Spaying and neutering for cats and dogs is a routine surgery that boasts a lot of benefits for your pet’s health. At Coyne Veterinary Center, we’ll work closely with you to decide if a spay and neuter surgery is the right choice for your pet. If you’re thinking about breeding your pet, we also offer comprehensive reproductive services. Call us today at (219) 763-3311.
Have a new puppy or kitten? Let’s talk about spay/neuter options!
The Benefits of Spays and Neuters
Spay and neuter surgery for dogs and cats is one of the most common surgeries performed, and rightly so—it offers significant benefits to cats and dogs! Here are some of the benefits to think about when considering if spay/neuter surgery is right for your pet:
With spay and neuter surgery, the following risks can be significantly reduced or even eliminated:
- Pyometra, a serious uterine infection in females
- Prostate problems in males
- Uterine, cervical, and ovarian cancers in females
- Testicular cancer in males
Surgery can curb or eliminate the following undesirable behaviors:
- The desire to roam to find a mate (which could put your pet in harm’s way)
- Aggression in males
- Heat cycles in females (which is often frustrating and messy for her—and you!)
- Urine marking and mounting behaviors in males
- Mammary gland tumors in females
Helps Curb Pet Overpopulation
One of the biggest contributors to pet overpopulation is unwanted pregnancies. All too often, shelters are at capacity and have to make the hard decision to euthanize otherwise healthy pets. By spaying and neutering your pet, you can help reduce the number of homeless, and thereby save lives and give current shelters a better chance at being adopted.