Develop your Professional Skills During a Veterinary Externship in Portage IN
Current veterinary and technician students! Come gain valuable real-world experience and refine your professional skills in our fast-paced, non-appointment, contemporary hospital! We believe that working alongside our skilled and professional team in a clinical setting is the best way to prepare for life after graduation.
What to expect as a Veterinary Extern
As an extern at Coyne Vet Portage, you’ll be working under the direct supervision of one of our experienced doctors and team of talented technicians providing you exposure to varied styles of teaching and mentorship. Our unique walk-in style allows you to learn at a faster pace and gain experience on a wider variety of cases that range from preventive to urgent, continuously challenging and increasing your knowledge while being supported by your mentor.
Here are some common tasks you might expect to handle on a daily basis:
- Performing physical examinations
- Assisting vets with case workups
- Practicing good communication with clients
- Putting together appropriate diagnostic plans
- Scrubbing into surgery
- Fine-tuning your technical skills
- Writing accurate and thorough medical records for patients
- And much more!
REQUIREMENTS TO ENROLL IN OUR VETERINARY EXTERNSHIP PROGRAM
- Must be currently enrolled at an accredited doctor of veterinary medicine program
- Must be in good academic standing
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- Must be available to work days, evenings, and weekends
- Must have professional liability insurance
- Must be considering work in a small animal veterinary practice as a career choice post-graduation
Click the link below to submit an inquiry about our veterinary externship program.
Apply for our veterinary externship program.
Are you a student currently enrolled in a technician program? Our externship gives you the chance to gain abundant hands-on experience in a fast-paced animal hospital setting. Our fast-paced environment allows you to experience a high number and variety of patients, helping to develop and sharpen your skills.
For the entire duration of your externship, you will work under the direct supervision of a licensed veterinary technician, completing all requirements and developing your skills along the way.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ENROLLING IN OUR VET TECH EXTERNSHIP PROGRAM
- Must be enrolled in an AVMA/CVTEA-accredited Veterinary Technology program
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- Must be available to work days, evenings, and weekends as scheduled
- Must participate in the application, selection, and onboarding process for program placement
Click the Apply Now button to submit an inquiry about our veterinary technician externship program.
The Extended Summer Externship Program
Over the summers we offer a longer-term summer externship in which students have the opportunity to work with us as veterinary assistants. Our program allows veterinary students the perfect opportunity to perform immersive hands-on work and continue their learning in a real clinical setting. This extended position term is flexible but typically lasts anywhere from 4-10 weeks. The technical and interpersonal skills that students gain during this time are invaluable to their growth and success as future veterinary professionals.
Some responsibilities working as a veterinary assistant will include:
- Supporting the doctors and technicians as needed in daily patient care
- Improving the ability to use diagnostic equipment to analyze and interpret various samples
- Learning the preparation and monitoring of patients before, during and after surgical procedures
- Client education
- Pharmacy duties
- Much more!
REQUIREMENTS FOR OUR EXTENDED SUMMER EXTERNSHIP PROGRAM
Our long term programs have limited availability. To be eligible for the extended summer externship program, you must be:
A current veterinary student enrolled in an accredited doctor of veterinary medicine program in good academic standing
Authorized to work in the United States
Available for a 4 to 10 week period during summer break and have a flexible schedule (32-40 hours a week) including evenings and weekends
Able to provide own housing and transportation
Click the Apply Now button to apply for our extended externship program.
Become a Student Ambassador
Coyne Vet Portage is always looking for Student Ambassadors to represent and promote our different opportunities. An Ambassador's primary function is to represent us on campus and help promote knowledge and excitement about extern and career opportunities. Contact us today to learn more about our Student Ambassador Program!